Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Free ninety nine

There are so many advantages to cutting and coloring my own hair.

The first, obviously, is that it is free. Zero. Nada. Nothing. Well, unless you count the cost of the dye. Okay, so $5.99 for a cut and color, that's not so shabby. Some friends and I were discussing the cost of getting ones hair done professionally. I nearly choked on my chocolate chip cookie when I heard how much these women were paying. I guess I have to admit that they are extraordinarily good looking women, but still.....it seems criminal to me to pay $75-$200 for your hair every two months. Ralphie's argument is that you wear your hair everyday, and I see her point, but still....

Along with the "wearing your hair everyday" philosophy comes my next advantage to cutting and coloring my own hair. I can make my haircut match my outfit or mood, daily. If it looks a little uneven I just snip a little more off. If I am feeling a little crazy I just cut some more layers. It's fantastic. Until you run out of hair of course which I would argue that I currently have. Now I guess it is time to holster the scissors for a few months (years at the rate my hair grows) and wait until I have some new material to work with.

Now thirdly these beautiful women that pay lots of money to get their hair done are also the same ones that paint their own doors (flawlessly), make their own curtains, and do all of that crazy crafty homemaking stuff. So my new philosophy is that we can create a symbiotic relationship where with the money I save by doing my own hair I can afford to pay them to do any painting/decorating/creating project I may be in need of and with the money I pay them they can sustain their hair maintenance standards. It's a pretty awesome plan I think.

Anyway, my final point is that I would spend a lot of money to do my hair if there were someone to impress but luckily I somehow landed a fantastic spouse and incredible friends already, so there's really no need. Right?

Oh and if you see me walking around and my hair looks a little uneven please do let me know, I carry scissors in my purse for just such an occasion.

P.S. I have to start throwing more words like "symbiotic" into my blog because I did this little test thing and it said that my blog was a Junior High reading level. So, be prepared for some heavy hitter vocabulary words in upcoming posts.

12 comments:

TheMoncurs said...

I ran that test on my blog and I got junior high too. I ran it on the blog of a friend of mine who writes at what I believe to be a elementary school level and she got rated college level. I don't think so.

I dye my own hair too. And when I do get it cut (every 6 months to a year. Seriously) I go to one of those $10 places. Hair need not be so expensive, if you ask me.

Janssen said...

I am so with Kayla. For my hair looks basically the same to me whether I spent $16 or $96 on it. As you know me well, you can guess which number I love and cherish and which number I spurn.

Sheyenne said...

I'm with ya babe. If I could cut my own hair I would. But I tried to cut Dario's hair one time and everyone asked him if he had hat hair. So I don't even attempt. I get it cut once or twice a year at a $10 place. Oh, and I did that test too and I got rated elementary, so you can feel smart next to me, my friend!

Kristi said...

Um update....I guess my blog is elementary school level. Dang, that's pretty bad. Just so everyone knows though, Gretchen's was rated "genius".

Strong Family - said...

I'm so with cheap haircuts. Some people pay tons and then don't like it anyway. I go to CostCutters and pay like $13 bucks twice a year. If I don't like it at least I can be happy that I didn't pay a fortune for it. I would cut it my self but it's too long and straight. Everyone else in the house gets their hair cut by me. So we spend $26 a year on haircuts. I'm all for that bargain! (Oh, I usually tip a couple of bucks...add that in). So how do I test my blog's reading level?

Earl and Vickie said...

Hey, nothing wrong with the Jr. High reading level, the newspaper is written on something like a 5th grade level.

Shauna said...

I used to pay riDICulous amounts of money to get my hair cut and highlighted. Then I couldn't stand the cycle of money/guilt/a haircut and color that I didn't love/more money/more guilt/a haircut and color that I didn't love/etc. ad nauseum. I'm SO much happier since I took hair color into my own hands. If I don't love it, I'm only out 5 bucks instead of $150. I'm just as happy with the color most days and I don't have to feel like I wasted money (although I have so much freakin' hair that I have to get two or three boxes of hair color every time I color). Still...much MUCH cheaper. I found a $20 haircut that I spring for twice a year and I'm good. I am a true believer in cheap hair. I tried the salon route, but I'm a repented and new woman. I used to cut my own hair, too, when it was short. Now it's too long and hard to get even. But, I admire your self-reliant attitude! You go, girl!

Plus, I'm so happy that Gwen is doing so well at 100 Easy Lessons. She's a genius to be half way through. You know when she finishes she'll be reading on a second grade level, right? That's awesome! Keep up the good work! Oh, and post a picture of your front door, will ya?

Stefanie Miller said...

Kris, I forgot to mention in my last email how cute you look with your short curly hair, but you already know that has always been my opinion, not that it counts for anything. But I say no need to spend lots of money for how cute you already look.

Julie said...

I have Chicky Boomba cut my hair for 15 bucks. I love it because she comes to my house when she's in SL! And by the way...how's your front door?

G said...

I'm all about cheap hair too. I like to get my hair cut more frequently than some, but I still don't spend much. But for me at least, Supercuts doesn't quite cut it! I wish I lived with me. I think I do pretty good cutting other people's hair. But I'm too scared to do my own. Besides, I haven't invested in thinning shears...

And I LOVE to color at home, even if I do have to buy multiple boxes of color. I only get professionally colored when I'm already getting a cut (the place I go doesn't cost that much more once I'm already getting a cut).

So where is this test you're talking about? Are you accusing me of having a blog that's hard to read? :)

Jen and Beth said...

I guess I am a minority in this category. I happen to love having my hair done professionally. I at least go to the hair school where a haircut and color only cost me $30. My hair is way to thick and curly for me to cut my own and as far as the color goes, I tried that route and it doesn't work for me. I am too gray and it washes out really fast. I'd rather pay a little more and have it last a little while. Besides, it's the only time I ever get to be pampered a little. Of course, I only get my hair done like 3 times a year I figure it's not THAT much money. Now if I were one of those women that gets pedicures all the time and has fake nails that they have to get done every month then I would call myself frivolous but my hair is important to me. I guess it's all how you look at it. Feel lucky that you can cut and color your own and have it look cute. (Sorry for the long comment...and sorry to anyone who has their nails done.)

kateworthi said...

Kris - you always look great. You have so many talents! I usually do a $20 haircut once or twice a year - and I thought I was freakish. I can't believe that so many people are like me! Thanks for providing a forum in which I can feel some small portion of normalcy... :) BTW, my blog is also elementary. I don't mind - I want my kids to be able to understand my rantings! :) But I, too, put in one of my friend's addresses who I would have considered no more than elem. or jh level - and she was rated genius! What the heck? There's something slightly screwy with that rating system in my opinion! Love ya - wish we talked more often! :)