Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Staking my claim

I've got to reclaim my bedroom. No, I don't even need that, but I have GOT to reclaim my bed. This is getting ridiculous.

First off I want to make it clear that I do not endorse co-sleeping with your infant. Not only do I not support it but I am rather opposed to it. It is a major safety hazard and should not be done. That being said, if Bentley and I do not co-sleep Bentley and I do not sleep. And I think I heard somewhere that if you don't sleep for ten days straight you go insane or something. Well, I am on day number nine baby, so I have GOT to reclaim my bed.

I told Blaine yesterday, this is it! No more! He can cry all night long for all I care, I am sleeping and I am sleeping by myself! So we put Ben to bed at 9:00PM, seizing the opportunity I climbed in bed too. I am not sure when but eventually Blaine came to bed. A while later Ben woke up screaming. I waited. Screaming. Waited. Louder screaming. More waiting. Finally Blaine got up and gave him his pacifier. "It's okay" I thought, just a pacifier I am still not feeding him and he is still in his bed, so this is good. Only ten more hours to go....

Ten minutes later, screaming. Pacifier. Silence.

Fifteen minutes later, screaming. Wait....this is girl screaming, Gwen screaming, Gwen? Why is Gwen screaming???

I sent Blaine to retrieve Gwen, and this is the highlight of the story when Blaine went in her room I heard her cry "I need my mommy"! This may be annoying to some parents, but as of late I have yearned for Gwen to want anything to do with me. So I snuck a little smile as Blaine hauled her in to bed for me to comfort (she had an earache which she claimed she got because I gave her a bath...?)

Gwen quiets down and.....Ben starts screaming. So as to let Gwen sleep I relented and pulled Ben up in to bed to feed. I looked at the clock, surely it had to be almost morning....12:30AM.

I only made it three hours without getting Ben out of bed, and worst of all he woke up screaming at least three times in those three hours. And somehow Gwen was in our bed too. What happened to my reclamation?

So there we slept (or should I say there they slept, I can't sleep unless on my stomach which is hard to do with your arms wrapped around your children). Sardines in my bed. All of us. I was tempted to go and get Swiper and Boots just for the poeticness of it all.

But since hugs are rare this days I will take the loss of not reclaiming my bed because Gwen wanted me to comfort her, and that was something to smile about.

But tonight I am reclaiming my bed! If the Wilkinson's can do it with five babies, surely I can do it with one!

9 comments:

Julie said...

You go girl! I want a report in the morning!

Sheyenne said...

Good luck to you Kristi. Last night my 2 year old climbed into bed with me AGAIN, and since my husband sleeps with his arms up and elbows out, both Roman and I end up sharing my pillow. I have a crick in my neck and I woke up I-don't-know-how-many-times before I kicked him out and onto the floor. I was miserable this morning. And that was ONE night. I can't even think about 9 in a row.
I eventually got to the point where even though it killed me, I let my kids cry it out. And I was glad I did.

Strong Family - said...

Just remember the Wilkinsons have night helpers to hold their screaming babies too. I hope you get some sleep!!!

Ralphie said...

Don't let Lauree fool you. The Wilkinsons don't have the night helpers anymore.
So put on the game face and show Ben that you're not made of milk.

I have ear plugs.

Sheyenne said...

Okay wait. I just re-read my comment and that sounded horrible. I didn't actually KICK Roman out onto the floor. I put a blanket and pillow down there for him. I'm mean but I'm not THAT mean.

Unknown said...

Oh Kristi, I'm so sorry! It will get better, but sometimes things have to get a little worse before getting better. It won't be long till you can lay him in his bed and he will go to sleep. Stick with it, it will be worth it!

Andrea L. said...

Kristi - I have an awesome book for you. It is called "Heathy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" by Marc Weisbluth. If you can't get one at a library let me know and I will mail you mine. I had to use it with all my kids. They were HORRIBLE at sleeping through the night. You may need Ralphie's earplugs for a couple of nights, but it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it. Really, you can change it. Better now than when he is older and more set in his ways. Let me know. * Congrats on the wii - we LOVE ours, Guitar Hero 3 is what the boys got for Christmas. You guys will have a blast with it - if you can get any sleep that is!

jcrompton said...

Forget the book - I'm sure it's great, but that's just one more thing you have to do. He's so stinking cute, and I know it's hard, but you can do it - let him cry...after a few nights, he'll figure it out. :) I HOPE!

megan said...

I too have that book that Andrea has and it CHANGED my life - before that my son woke up at least every hour and a half - he tried to let him cry and he cried from 10:30 to 2:30 in the morning three nights in a row - the only reason he stopped after fours hours is because I relented. But after we got the book he was sleeping from 7:30 p.m. to 6:30 a.m. and then going back to sleep after feeding to 8:30 - I am not making this up! The book is strict but worth every penny - my boys are excellent sleepers because of it. I could actually feel real emotion again and be happy - without sleep I was a walking disaster!