Wednesday, July 18, 2007

10:45

Blaine said it would be okay, since I am just starting this blog, to add more than one entry a day, so I hope you are not offended. Well I don't think anyone besides myself has actually looked at this blog, and I am certainly not offended, so I guess I'm good.

I wanted to write about an experience I had two days ago.

Gwen normally wakes us up at about 7:00AM. As I have told most of you, her new method of waking us up is to sneak into our room, get about two inches away from my face and yell, "Mommy, GOOD MORNING!" It scares the daylights out of me and gets my heart rate pumping (heaven knows I need it since there isn't any exercise in my life to get my heart pumping!). Anyway, so this particular morning I heard Blaine get up and out of bed, I heard him have breakfast, get ready for work, and felt him give me a kiss as he headed out the door. I was starting to get excited because Gwen wasn't awake yet. How much more glorious sleep could I eek out of this morning, five minutes? Ten? I was excited to find out.

I closed my eyes and drifted quickly back to sleep. A little while later I heard Gwen's sweet little voice in her room playing. I opened my eyes and noticed that my back didn't ache (it usually does in the morning), my feet weren't swollen (like usual), my eyes weren't stuck shut, I felt happy and very refreshed. After a few more minutes of playing Gwen came into our room. She was probably amazed to find me happy to see her, I picked her up and put her on my bed. We had a tickle fight, we played hide and seek, we laughed and had the best time for 15 minutes. . . as opposed to me suggesting repeatedly that she go get her own breakfast, start a movie, play by herself, or anything but wake me up! As I hopped out of bed (haven't hopped out of bed in a good long time, I usually kind of groggily roll/slide/fall off in a daze) I wondered why I felt so different than any other morning. Was it all a dream? I was curious what time it was, it had to at least be 8:00 or 8:30 for me to feel this good. My eyes about popped out of their sockets when I saw the time. . . 10:45AM!


I can't even remember the last time I woke up in the ten o' clock hour, let alone the latter half of the ten o'clock hour. I was so giddy! The hardest part of my day was over, I simply slept through it. Not only that but now it didn't matter that I didn't have any milk in the fridge. . .we could eat lunch food!

So we ate our breakfast at 11:00AM. I felt like a teenager again (well, like a teenager plus 50 lbs). Could this day get any better?

The only thing I didn't think about with this whole gift of being able to sleep in until 10:45AM was how it would affect the rest of my day. If I were flying solo it would be no problem, improvisation is key. How would Gwen handle this schedule upset? She's not even on that particular of a schedule, but we usually do have lunch and a nap at some point in the day. So if you wake up at 11, what time do you eat lunch? If you normally nap at 1, what do you do if that is only a few hours after you woke up the first time?

I just decided to ignore those technicalities and went on about my day. Everything was fine and good until about 3:45PM. We were at a friends house playing and Gwen just started wigging out! She doesn't usually have meltdowns, but I think this must have been one. I didn't know what to do? Was she tired? Hungry? Both? Eeek. We made the mistake of walking to our friends house, it is only a block or two, but how on Earth was I supposed to get her back home. Not to mention she brought her ball along. Finally she was freaking out to the point that we just had to leave. I threw her over my shoulder and proceeded to walk home Santa Claus style (even the belly like a bowl full of jelly!).

It must have been a site, the large pregnant woman, carrying a toddler who was kicking and screaming all the while. Even though the rest of the day was a total disaster, I would gladly redo it if I could have that wonderful morning all over again. I guess the universe will always find a balance, so if things are going to all equal out in the end, you might as well get to sleep in once in a while!

2 comments:

Janssen said...

Wow. . . that's very awesome. Too bad about the meltdown, though.

JoAnna said...

I LOVE it!! I love it all. You definitely neeeded to join the world of blogging.