Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Mrs. Clean

I am not a good housekeeper. Well, I guess I am as good as the next guy when I actually do it, but for some reason I would rather play and make a good mess than clean one up (call me crazy). That being said, I like people to have the impression that I am a good housekeeper. It has been a lot easier to make that impression now that we live in a 1900sqft two story house as opposed to our 650 sqft apartment. I realized once we moved into the house that it is not that I was such a horrible housekeeper before, it was simply that there was not enough space for all of our stuff. Now that the stuff has ample room to hang around in, even when our house is messy it really isn't that messy.

I found myself this morning in a frenzy of cleaning. I even vacuumed the stairs and baseboards. After about two hours of cleaning, focused mainly in Gwenie's room, I realized that I was being ridiculous. Do you know why I was cleaning? It was because Gwen's four-year-old friend was coming over to play. She's four. As I was placing Gwen's toys neatly away in their bins I knew quite well that the bins would be promptly emptied and that chaos would ensue. So why didn't I leave the heaps of toys just laying on the floor for easier access? Was I afraid that Gwen's friends mom would walk into the room and be horrified at the mess? As if she doesn't have two children of her own and know what it is like to try to keep their rooms clean. Neverless, every time I have been to her house the kids rooms are clean. I wonder if she cleans them frantically like I do right before company arrives, or if they are always tidy, it probably will remain a mystery. Which really isn't that fair considering she is one of the three people who have this blog address and now knows my "dirty" secret.

Now that the secret is out though and you all know that Gwen's room is usually messy, I think I will save myself the trouble next time and clean a room that really needs it and that may actually stay clean for more than a nano second, even if she is going to have friends over.

2 comments:

Janssen said...

Hey! I'm excited that you have a blog!

That picture of your family in the side bar is SO cute; you all look fantastic.

Ralphie said...

Oh, come on now Kristi! You know that we ALL clean because we know company is coming. You make me laugh ! To be honest I am some what of a neat freak but LOVE to go into houses that are messy. Weird I know. It seems that because I grew up in a whirl wind of chaos I feel incredibly at home in a room that is untidy. But alas, I have never seen your house unkept. It's always lovely. So in short, please do not vacuum base boards for me. I'll love you any way!