Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Breaking out of the Cage


Let's be honest. Is there anyone goofier looking than Nicholas Cage? Let me clarify-- if he were a normal guy walking down the street that is one thing, he doesn't look like an alien or anything. I probably wouldn't feel strongly one way or the other, he would leave no impression. But the fact that he is supposed to be the heart throb, handsome, hero of so many movies just doesn't work! He is creepy. He's not a bad actor, but the movies he is in are kind of ruined for me because he looks so . . . not hollywood leading man-ish. There are others who I would put in this category (like Ben Stiller or Owen Wilson), but they have the humor and charm to compensate. But Nicholas Cage? I don't think there is a weirder looking leading man out there.

Once again, I want to make it clear that I do not go around judging how beautiful people are, except in movies. And even then I don't really feel opinionated about anyone else but how not good looking Nicholas Cage is. Well, I guess I have one opinion and that is that I want the guy who plays Mohinder on heroes to read books to me (doesn't he have a nice speaking voice?).

We watched some show last night with Nicholas Cage and Jessica Biel (?), they were in love-- she is a year younger than me. Gross. The movie was good, but how much better would it have been with some other actor, instead I was closing my eyes when any affection was shown because it made me queasy.

Notice how I have not used the word "ugly" . I feel so bad about this post and I think I am secretly afraid that Nicholas Cage will read it one day and be offended. Once again, if he were a normal person he is just fine looking, but compared to . . . . anyone else in Hollywood. . . Sorry Nicholas. To each their own.

What's your opinion. . .?

13 comments:

Bart said...

It sounds like you saw Next, and for that movie, I happen to agree with you. Cage is too old for her and looks really bad during most of the movie (I couldn't handle his hair). Their romance wasn't very believable.

That said, I think he's perfect for (the edited versions of) Face Off, Con Air, and The Family Man.

That brings up the sad topic that Clean Flicks is no longer in business. How are we supposed to get movies edited now?

Ralphie said...

Baahaha! I used to be IN LOVE with Mr. Cage. He melted my heart in City of Angles. What a stud muffin! I have the video if you need to refresh your memory. But I have to agree on his choice of movies to been in. There have been a couple of movies that I have seen him in that make me go "Huh. That was different." Most recent, Ghostrider.

Julie said...

I just think your funny Fiddle! I am not a big fan of Nicholas Cage either. I agree with you, but never really thought about it before!

Janssen said...

Yeah, I like Nicolas Cage, but I'm shocked when someone tells me how good looking they think he is. (A friend of mine said she wanted to go to the same grad program as me so that she could work in the National Archives and get Nicolas Cage to show up looking for the Declaration of Independence. . . I thought it was a weird).

And too old for Jessica Biel.

Jen and Beth said...

I totally agree. I always get that "gross" feeling whenever he is a love interest in a movie. Action, fine, I can handle it (Like Gone in 60 Seconds) but romance films, yuck! I hated him in City of Angels. Meg Ryan is way too cute to be with him. I will be sure to steer clear of whatever this movie you watched is.

Allisun said...

I can't stand Nicholas Cage. He is my very least favorite actor, and I stay away from every movie he is in. I just think he's creepy! I'm sorry for being very direct, but my feelings are very stong on this subject. Thanks for letting me get that out!

Unknown said...

He looked NASTY in the movie Next! Plus, the way he was acting was creepy. It made that part of the movie unbelievable. Wait, what am I saying? The whole thing was unbelievable. But, I still liked the movie.

G said...

Not a big Nicholas Cage fan. I don't really think he can act well. He's the same in every movie. All he can do is the "I'm sad and/or neurotic" look. And there is so little variation in his delivery. Mostly I think I take issue with the perpetual "my dog just died" expression. When they make him smile in a role, it looks like his face might actually shatter and fall off...

Katie Worthington said...

Ditto to everything everyone just said -except Raphie... :)- I just think Nick Cage is the worst actor out there - and has absolutely no ability to diversify his expresion and tone of voice. Very frustrating to watch (mostly) - with that said though, I do love Family Man and Matchstick Men. He is good for those parts, but otherwise, I often wonder, "how does he have a career????"...

Shauna said...

I do love Family Man. But that aside, I have two words to describe Nicholas Cage--"ew" and "ewwwwwwwwwwwww." I'm with you. He's yucky.

Kristi said...

I think it is fair to say that Ralphie is one of a kind. In so many ways, the best of which is that she had a crush on Nicholas Cage! We can still be friends Ralphie!

Sarah said...

Nicholas Cage is O.K. I don't see him as the leading man sort except for movies like: RAISING ARIZONA... one of my all time favorites. I still have a hard time picturing him any other way.

[dene'] said...

I will be on the defense...I like him. I think it is refreshing that there is actually a "normal" looking man in Hollywood...normal like the men we associate with on a daily basis. I get what your saying though. (smile)