Friday, October 19, 2007

I believe. . .

There are angels among us, sent down to us from somewhere up above. They come to you and me, in our darkest hours to show us how to live, to teach us how to give. . . .

That song has been in my head for the last two hours because I was served by an angel today! Actually I could argue that I have seen angels almost everyday in the last couple of weeks, particularly the last couple of days; which is awesome, because I have really needed them!

I'll start with today's adventure. Today was one of those days where at 2:00PM I was still in my PJs and hadn't brushed my teeth, yick. It all started last night. See, Bentley doesn't really sleep at night. . . and as much as he doesn't sleep on most nights. . . he really didn't sleep last night. He was all congested and sad and inconsolable. This made for a rough night for me. What was really sad was that when he finally fell asleep (at about 6:30AM) our fire alarm batteries died, or started dying, which resulted in a repeating chirp from our fire alarm. Is there anything more annoying than that high pitched continuous noise, I think not. Blaine must have fixed it when he left for work (thank heavens!). So I was finally drifting off to sleep at about 8:30AM when Gwen sprang into my room (I couldn't help but envy her obviously well rested body and the energy and zeal that came with it), "Waaaaake uuuuup Mommmmy!!! Wake up little brudder!!!" "It's not time for sleeping, it's time for breakfast!".

I drag myself out of bed. The brother starts screaming as soon as I set him down. I pretend I don't hear (I am surprised that I can still hear at this point due to the continual screaming that was happening all night long). We get down stairs and... we are out of Lucky Charms. This may not seem like a big deal to most of you. They really are magically delicious to Gwen, so magical that she refuses to eat any other kind of cereal (we have Dora cereal folks, that says a lot!). Anyway, so after all this stuff the doorbell rings. It is my visiting teachers. I am in my robe. I guess I should be thankful that at least I had on a robe!! They were so nice to come and we had our usual chaotic visit. For some reason Gwen is very anti younger children these days. So she wouldn't let them play with her toys or come within a ten foot radius of her. Then the brother started screamin' again. Wow.

Anyway, the day carried on this way. Finally at 4:00PM I was ready to go to the store. Just a few necessities. That's all. I was gonna get in, get out and get on with my real life! An hour and half and an entire cart full of groceries later I was in line at the checkout. I had a very delicate balance going on with the brother. He was in the sling, but I haven't quite learned how to get him in there securely yet. Needless to say, getting the groceries onto the conveyor belt without dropping the brother was a challenge. He had been so good the whole time we were shopping, but right as we got to the checkout he started wailing. Screaming. Ehhh. How was I going to make it through the checkout process and to my car, and home and unload the groceries. I didn't have enough hands and I feared that I did not have enough patience.

I was in the checkout lane for eternity. The checkout gothic. . . I mean girl, was not pleased at the ruckus. By the time I had all the groceries back in the cart Ben was a big mess in the sling and not happy. I had to hold him with one arm (pretty sure the point of a sling is to free up both hands, whatever); which left me with one arm to push our 500lb cart and to keep Gwen from being hit by a car. She refuses to ride in a cart [I have to note though that she does AWESOME usually at staying by me, I just worry as we walk through the parking lot]. Have you tried pushing a full grocery cart with one arm, it's hard on its own but with the two additional children, wow.

So I was thinking wouldn't it be nice if someone from the ward would walk by and help me. It wasn't even really a prayer or anything. When I get to my car this man (who looked a lot like Doc from Back to the Future) approached. "You look like you could use some help" (I am sure he meant "it SOUNDS like you need some help" since the brother was screaming still). I practically burst in to tears as he took my groceries and put them in my cart while I buckled the kids in.




He will never know how much that meant to me. I will vouch for him in Heaven.

And you Ralphie, will not know how much it meant when you made me dinner the other night (and the ten thousand other things you have done for me recently)

And you next door neighbor whose name is John I think, will not know how much it meant that you trimmed our tree for me yesterday.

And Blaine won't ever know how much it meant to me when he didn't go to Scouts last week because I needed help.

And Gretchen, thanks for shaking all of the fire ants off of my shoe yesterday while I was standing in my car crying like a baby!

And so on, and so forth.

Here's a shout out to all of the angels in my life!


P.S. Just to note-- I stepped in a fire ant mound yesterday. About ten minutes later I accidentally rolled up the window and smooshed three of Gwen's fingers in it. I am on a roll!

P.P.S. I love Bentley, he just is a little noisy sometimes ;)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you remember the little booklet I gave you a couple of years ago?

"The Model Mormon Mothers Notebook"
By carol Lynn Pearson?

A few of my fav's from her Book are

pg 7
"First Aid Panel On Wednesday-----
What puts people into shock

Severe injury
Bleeding
Excessive loss of fluids
MOTHERHOOD"

Pg 11 "She that hath clean hands
(and should we say brushed teeth?)
Hath not Children"

Pg 19 House Cleaning Priority for this week:

"Find Kitchen counter"

The more children you have the funnier the book gets, even if it is true to life

Anyway, I want to thank the Angels in your life too, It's hard being a long distance Mother, and not able to help when needed, it is a comfort to know that angels are watching over and helping my daughter and her family, when we are so far away.

Thanks to all of you, and even the stranger in the parking lot. The best way to repay a kindness is to pass it on to someone else when they need help.

Love, Mom G

Jen and Beth said...

Wow! I have had days like that and remember how hard it was (some days are still that stressful). It will get better though, I promise you that. How lucky you are to have wonderful people around you. I hope I find friends like that in San Antonio. Oh, and the sling thing, man I wish I were there to help you on that. I will pray for a granola lady to find you and help you out.

Ralphie said...

Oh man. I hope that's not why you called me. I saw that I missed it. Dang. PLEASE tell me when you are having a bad day. I'll be there so you can go take a nap... and brush your teeth.
YOU will never know how much I just love you to pieces!

Heather said...

You have just inspired me to try harder to help others and pay more attention to other people and what struggles they may be going through at the moment, as opposed to myself...

Heather said...

Oh, PS, I really enjoy reading what you have to say!

Julie said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I had a day very similar a couple weeks ago. Katie was getting teeth, we were in the middle of potty training and everything else that could go wrong went wrong. Just hang in there. Hopefully you'll have a great day soon to balance out this horrible one. I sure love reading your blog and I also miss your face! Love yer guts Fiddle!

Unknown said...

It is great that you can see the good amidst your rough day!

Thanks for you positive attitude.

Brookeh said...

I feel for ya, Fiddle. Some weeks can be so rough. I'm so glad you have good people around you to help you out!

Anonymous said...

I echo the feelings of your mom - sad to be too far away to help, but so thankful for those "angels" in your life. Your story sounded like something grandpa Winder might have done. It makes me all teary just thinking about it. I'm definitely going to be more thoughtful!

Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing your days. It makes me feel that it's ok to not be perfect! Good luck.

Laurie said...

You were my angel all the time last year! Heavenly Father really does hear us and takes care of us when we need it most!