Friday, November 16, 2007

Homeless

As Gwen and I were driving to Toys R' Us today we got stopped at a red light right by a homeless man asking for money or food. I don't like to give money. Well, I don't mind giving money, but I would rather give out some food (that was what Rosanne Orgill always did, and it seemed more logical to me). Unfortunately I didn't have any money OR food with me. So I just locked the doors and gave my best smile for him. My smile earned me a sign switch; I have never seen this, but after I smiled he switched his cardboard box around on the front it had said something like "even a nickel is a blessing" but on the back this sneaky man had written "You're cute" with hearts and the like. Either way I still had nothing to give. I felt ridiculous for the rest of the drive. There we were going to spend $15 on a silly toy that Gwen probably doesn't need. I counted my blessings for the whole rest of the drive home and made a vow to do my best to serve others when and how I can. Anyway, just wanted you all to know I am grateful for what I have and I had a horribly awkward time trying to explain to Gwen about homeless people, which broke my heart even more. . . it went something like the following, but involved even more circular logic and repitition :).


Gwen: "What is that man doing?"
Me: "He is asking for money or food."
Gwen: Why doesn't he go to his house to get some food
Me: He doesn't have a house
Gwen: He doesn't have a HOUSE?
Me: Nope, we are so lucky because we have a house and food, not everybody is that lucky, that is why we thank Heavenly Father for our food and for our house everyday.
Gwen: Why doesn't he go to his friends house to get food?
Me: I don't think his friends have a house or food either.
Gwen: ohh. But where do they sleep?
Me: They sleep outside. Do you think you could share your food with someone who doesn't have any food (note: I was debating on bringing up the cookie incident but decided the emotional trauma it would bring was not worth the moral lesson it would provide).?
Gwen: I share my food with my friends. I share my food with Erin.
Me: But Erin already has food, do you think you could share your food with someone who is really hungry and doesn't have any food?
Gwen: Erin could share her food with me. I share with her and she shares with me.
Me: But Erin already has food, and you have food, do you think you could share with someone who doesn't have any food.
Gwen: I could share my house with him!
Me: uh. . .
Gwen: And I could share my friends with him! I could share Erin with him!!!
Me: er. . . . . uh. . . . . but what about your food. . .?

5 comments:

Ralphie said...

I'm so thankful that when we are homeless Gwen will share her food with Erin.
Blessings keep a comin'.

Sheyenne said...

I too have had a few awkward moments explaining the homeless situation to my kids. I get my kids' pics taken at Sears, in that same area, and there is a homeless person on that corner every time I've ever been there. Most of the time I don't give to them, but sometimes I do feel moved to do so. After trying to explain the complexities of the whole homeless situation and realizing I didn't want to get that deep, I finally settled on, "We give to the church and other organizations that can help them get the things they really need." My kids seem to be satisfied with that, but your daughter is quite a bit younger, so I'm guessing that was absolutely no help at all!

Sheyenne said...

Oh, and I just had to add that there's this one guy there with signs that say things like, "Family killed by ninjas. Need money for martial arts lessons" and "I'm so hungry I could eat a horse, but I hear they frown on that in Texas." I always give him money.

Janssen said...

Ralphie, are you going to let the homeless guy have Erin? Because. . .I think Bart would be mad if you gave him first dibs.

Linds said...

I laughed so hard at his "sign flip"... that is soooo "cute" to me for some reason!!! haha!