Saturday, November 17, 2007

The mother I never had!

So last week I got this e-mail from one Josephine Michelson. . .


Flight: 95 Departs: Columbus, OH at 1:05 PM
Arrives: Jacksonville/Daytona Bch (St. Augustine, FL) at 2:54 PM
-------------
Saturday, November 24, 2007
Flight: 96 Departs: Jacksonville/Daytona Bch (St. Augustine, FL) at 3:19 PM
Arrives: Columbus, OH at 5:08 PM
------

To which I responded with:

Not that it is not fun to get your itinerary or anything, but
who are you?

------
To Which she responded with:

Hi! Glad you received the itinery for our flight to Florida. What do you mean
, "Who are you?"
Is there someone else writing you who doesn't know what they are doing on
these computers? I thought my address went along with whatever I forwarded
to you. Maybe not. Forwarding my itinery seemed like a good idea because
you would have the info on our arrival and departure times and know when
to meet us and take us to the plane when leaving.I will am not ready to come
down there but I will come any way. The heater in the kitchen has to have
a new valve put on it. No heat coming out at all. Toilets have not been replaced.
Carpet has not been cleaned. Three layers of leaves in the yard to rake and
take to Leaf dump. On and on and on. How can I leave here with so darn
many things that need to be done? I don't expect an answer, some empathy
maybe.Steven and Cindy planned to come up this weekend to help with the
leaves. Now what? I'm excited to see you all soon. I am your mother,
by the way. Love you all.

----
To which I responded with:

Hi Mom!

So glad you cleared up the confusion. I hate to complicate things further
but it is going to be really hard to pick you up from the airport on
Tuesday since you are flying in to Florida and we live in Texas. I just don't
know how I will find the time to make the 24 hour drive; not to mention
being in the car for that long with the new baby and Gwen. I wonder why
you are flying in so far away! Do you think you can change the flight or is
it too late? And what are you doing coming from Ohio? Are you and Dad
on a trip there or something? Weird. I could have sworn you guys were
living in Utah the last time I checked (which was like yesterday!).

Speaking of Gwen, she is doing great with the potty training. She has only
had two accidents this week, woo hoo! Only one in diapers now!

Little Bentley has really started smiling a lot this past week. Thanks so
much for coming and staying with us when he was born, we really miss
you and all the help!

Blaine is doing well at work and we are finally settling down with our new
life in Texas. It is nice now that it is November, the weather is beautiful,
you're going to love it.

I'm doing good. Kind of busy with the two kids and the two puppies, but
I love it!

We just can't wait to see you! I didn't think you would be making a trip
out again so soon! What a fun Thanksgiving surprise. I am in a flurry
trying to get the house ready for your arrival, hopefully we will get it done
in time!

I was sorry to hear about your heater (brrrr), carpets and toilets. You
better get Steven and Cindy to help with that too! Speaking of Steven
and Cindy, how are they doing? I can't quite remember. . . are they my
brother and sister or cousins or?

Seems like I am forgetting a lot of things lately. . . like I could have sworn
your name was Janice and not Josephine.

Hope all is going well! We sure do miss you!

Love,

Kristi

P.S. I hope this eventually finds its way to your "Kristi Bassett" I am
pretty sure I am not her. . .though you do sound like a wonderful
and fun mother.

P.P.S. Enjoy your trip to Florida, it sounds fun! Happy Thanksgiving!


-----
What the. . .?

9 comments:

Julie said...

My thoughts exactly...What the?

Katie Goulding Sierer said...

you are so funny! I nearly wet my pants at your reply.

Sheyenne said...

Wow. You are funny and nice I must say. My response might have said something like, "Listen here you old bag. I'm not your kid. And I'm glad for that because you're quite the martyr." etc., etc.

Did you get a response to YOUR response, by the way?

meleah said...

Kristi, that is the funniest thing I have ever heard. I love that you responded to her!!! Classic!

Ralphie said...

Didn't you know about the Adopt A Mother program? Very common around Thanksgiving time as it a stuggle in many young marriages to get the turkey cooked just right. It's also known as The Ladies Without Mothers During Thanksgiving Association, or T.L.W.M.D.T.A.

You really need to get out more.

Anonymous said...

You know, on the one hand it seems funny. On the other, it seems a rather cruel way to spend your time. Why??? I hope this poor lady has a nice sense of humor and writes back and sends pictures of you two at the big feast you share this week. Wouldn't you like to see who she thinks YOU are!? Hopefully she wasn't relying too much on her email correspondence with you to get her to her Thanksgiving celebration this week. How would you like that to be you someday when you're old and senile and have someone messing with your mind like that? Tsk, tsk...

Kristi said...

Hey, she was the one messing with me! I told her I didn't know who she was, she responded back and told me she was my mother! I was the one who had to sit and ask if I was going crazy! I don't think she is senile, she simply got my e-mail address confused with her daughter; which I explained in the P.S. (and have explained a couple of times when she sends me random forwards). I was trying to give her a good chuckle and was counting on people being more good humored than you seem to be today :)

Linds said...

that was super funny! I wonder if she'll ever get it figured out. Hopefully she uses the telephone to talk with her REAL daughter about her flight plans! haha!

Sheyenne said...

Okay, I realize I already commented here, but I need to do it again. I re-read the letter and took it completely differently this time. (The one from her.) I was in quite the foul mood when I read it the first time and took her list of things to do as total whining and acting like she was doing you a big favor leaving all those things to come and see you. Boy, now it's really easy to see how easy it is to misconstrue things when you're already grumpy. To think, all those times I snapped at my husband for being rude when I was already mad might not have even been true. I shall start repenting immediately. :)