Thursday, August 16, 2007

One of the Ninety and Nine

I sometimes wonder where I am going to end up after this mortal sojourn. Of course the obvious choice is the top of the top, strummin my harp and cloud hoppin'. If that is going to be the case, however, I have some God-like attributes that I really need to work on. One of these became obvious to me today when I took out the garbage.

Out of the goodness of my heart I decided to let the puppies come in from the torrential rainfall today. While they were in here I had to take out the garbage. When I opened the door they both shot out of here into our cul-de-sac and immediately began running amok in our neighborhood.
I chased them around for a while, called for them, tried to be patient (the neighbors were watching after all). Finally Boots came over to me. I snatched him up and tried to beg Swiper to come to me. My neighbors, at this point, had gone back inside. Since there was no one to impress by my dog hunting, and no one to be upset that I just let the dogs run wild. I decided to cut my losses and just go back inside. Swiper would find his way home eventually, I was sure he would be fine. Being left alone in the cold hard world of our cul-de-sac would put some hair on his chest if nothing else.

As I turned my back on him and retreated back to our house, the scripture about leaving the 99 to search for the 1 crossed my mind (along with a sappy song one of my YW teachers played regarding the subject). I thought about how rude it was for me to leave the 1 and assume he would come back and go back to the ease and comfort of the 99 (or in my case, the other 1). Anyway, he did come back, luckily and he has been temporarily demoted to least favorite dog (again, I don't think Heavenly Father has least favorite people). Anyway, good thing there is always something to be working on. . .

1 comment:

Bart said...

Lol. I like it. I was expecting a confession after that intro. But I don't blame you at all for leaving Swiper out there to find his way back. God does that with us. And your door was never locked to Swiper. He had but to knock (claw/wimper), right? :)