Thursday, August 23, 2007

Pinwheel pinwheel spinning around. . .

I remember hearing a little "bit" of one of Jerry Seinfeld's routines one time. He was talking about how the older you are the more similar you are to the very young. He mentioned birthday parties in particular . . . in both cases your family will sit you down and say "these are your friends, they are here to celebrate with you!".

Anyway, I was thinking about how similar the old and the young are in regard to lawn ornaments. Our neighbor is the queen of lawn ornaments. She has frogs, cats, butterflies all made out of metal and marbles and things that sparkle. They plaster their flower beds. I remember the horror of when my own parents started getting in to lawn ornaments. It was right in high school. How could I make my friends see that my parents were really cool if they insisted on decorating the lawn with spinning flamingos and such. Luckily my parents were nice enough to keep their little wonderland in the backyard.

Anyway, Gwen LOVES the lawn ornaments. If we are having a dull day we just go and look at our neighbors lawn ornaments and an easy hour will pass us by. It makes me want to go and take her to my parents backyard, because I am sure she would love it there too.

I don't know when you cross the age where lawn ornmanents become a mockery instead of something really fascinating and beautiful, but I think the old and the young definitely have the better way. Seeing beauty all around and what not.

Still don't know if I will be getting lawn ornaments anytime soon (before age 70), but maybe I should take a little extra time to admire the little things, including Sandy's ornaments :)

2 comments:

Janssen said...

HA! I will mock the lawn ornaments with you. But then feel the burn of Karma when I'm an 80 year old woman putting up little stone bunnies.

Laurie said...

I remember us having this same conversation about a year ago on one of our morning walks. Anna always thinks that the lawn ornaments are real animals-- can I pet the duck Mommy? What do you do?