Friday, August 24, 2007

Pieces

I am not wasting my time pondering over Swiper and Boots' logic anymore, there is no point. I have reached the conclusion that they are functioning without brains. They are sweet, cuddly, brainless dogs. Yet they continue to teach me little life lessons daily.

So they sleep inside in our guest bathroom (don't be afraid potential guests, you can use the upstairs bathroom). They are good, we have finally trained them to refrain from going to the bathroom in the bathroom.

Sidenote: I wonder if this is why I have such a hard time potty training Gwen. I spend half of my time lecturing the dogs to not pee in the bathroom and then try to convince Gwen that she should go potty in the bathroom. I can see how that might be confusing.

Anyway. . . we have figured out that it is a mistake to have anything, ANYTHING, in the bathroom with them while they sleep. This includes toilet paper (hence the real guests needing to use the upstairs bathroom). There have been many a mornings spent cleaning up shredded rolls of TP from their bathroom. I figured they were just out to get us humans; to rip up our shoes and toys and our precious bathroom tissue. This morning, however, we opened their bathroom door to find that they had ripped their own bed to smithereens. Their BED. Who could that hurt but themselves. I am under no obligation to buy them another one, they can sleep on the cold hard floor for all I care. They really brought this on themselves.

I wish I could let them have the roam of the downstairs at night, you know so they could protect us and not feel all cooped up. On one hand I think it might be good for them and they could exhaust their energy running in circles. On the other hand I am afraid we would wake up one morning to find they had devoured our staircase and we would have no way to get down and punish them.

Anyway, another life lesson learned. Listen to your parents. At first it may seem like they are chastising you for simple things, but eventually if you keep chewing on things you are going to rip up your own bed, and then they won't feel sorry for you. Not one bit.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Maybe you should figure out a way to confine them to one room and see how they do. You crack me up Fids!

Anonymous said...

It's a great description of Boots and Swiper. No one really knows how literal you're being with how much stuff they chew up. Well I guess some people must. I guess we're not the only people in the world with puppies. Still though, if they couldn't literally chew up the whole stairway, leaving us stranded at the top, I bet they literally could chew out one which would at least give somebody a sprained ankle or something.