Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Watermelon: the new ice cream

I feel like I won the lottery today. Blaine hates watermelon. He's tried it every way possible, he's tried irresistible watermelons but for some reason, he just doesn't like it. That being said, I haven't had watermelon in about five years. Like I am going to buy a gigantic watermelon for just me to eat.

This weekend, however, with Nick and Stef in town I decided to go for it. With their help I could get rid of most of the watermelon and then I could probably finish off the rest myself. So we busted open the melon on Sunday and ate about 1/2 of it. It was soooo tasty. It really hit the spot. And I am sitting here right now finishing the last precious bites of my watermelon. I have intentions of going and buying a new one later tonight.

I wondered though if eating watermelon was kind of like eating otter-pops, you know sugar water. So I looked up the nutritional content of a watermelon, and I was pleasantly surprised. First off a cup of watermelon only has 48 calories. A cup of low-fat ice cream has about 240 calories (regular ice cream could be upwards of 380 calories). Then on top of that watermelon is like a cancer reducing miracle machine. It blasts the carcinogens out of you and fills you up with vitamins A and C and potassium. It has fiber and no fat. A whole honkin' melon costs the same as a carton of ice cream.

It has no seeds, keeps for up to three weeks sitting on your counter, satisfies both thirst and hunger--truly, this is a miracle food.

6 comments:

Julie said...

Hooray for healthy, good tasting food! And why is it that watermelon flavored things don't really taste like watermelon?

G said...

YUM! You've made me so excited to go cut open the watermelon sitting on my counter!

Ralphie said...

Can I get an AMEN!

Stefanie Miller said...

Watermelon is SO good for you. It has a very alkalizing effect on the body. Most of the food we Americans eat leaves our bodies in an acidic state, which is the state all sorts of disease thrives in. Watermelon- as well as other fruits and vegetalbes and "whole foods" but especially watermelon- helps to balance out the system. I'm kind of embarrassed to leave such a nerdy comment on your blog but oh well.

Laurie said...

good old Stef.

Laurie said...

PS-- don't type in stefaniemiller.blogspot.com. It is surely NOT the dear stefanie miller we love so much!!